Thoughts about a custom plugin

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 18:28:11 CEST 2008

Hi,

NRPE could do this job, sure you could write a custom plugin, but there
are 2 possible alternatives already there (albeit they might be overhead
for what you're trying to do, unless you want to monitor the  services
on the dual-homed machine with Nagios as well.)

You could run NRPE on each target, and on the dual-homed machine, then
Nagios would request the plugin to be executed on the targets and send
the request via NRPE to the dual-homed machine, which would in turn
request the plugin to be run on the appropriate host.  I do a similar
thing to ping a router that cannot be reached from my Nagios machine,
but can from one of the servers being monitored by Nagios.

e.g. Nagios -- check_nrpe -- asks dual-homed to check disk space on
target1 -- check_nrpe -- dual-homed asks target1 to check diskspace --
check_disk -- DISK: OK

I have a feeling, however, that NCSA might be a more appropriate tool
for this task, but I have no experience of it.  From what I understand,
I believe it would be possible to run NRPE on the targets, use NCSA on
the dual-homed host to execute the plugins on the targets via NRPE and
submit the results to Nagios.

Hope this gives you some food for thought!

Regards,

Andy