changing display of service description without losing history

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Nov 7 12:31:15 CET 2008

Hi,

> I'd offer that you're wanting to use it for something it wasn't meant
> for. serviceextinfo{} definitions in nagios-2, specifically notes_url
> was meant for this purpose. notes_url was moved to service{}
> definitions in 3.x. That allows you to link to an external page/script/
> whatever that contains all that troubleshooting information or whatever.

Thanks for the reply.  That could definately work for the 'add more
info' case.

It doesn't really address the 'I would like to know a relative
importance of alerts' case.  What do people generally do for this
particular problem ?

(To repeat, the problem is 'making it clear which alarms are higher
priority so that when you have a 100 at a time you know what to work on
first')

Today, the problem is that only people that really understand our whole
system understand the priorities of alarms, and this is impossible to
transfer to the operators.

> > - if patches to make it be used in the current web interface as well
> > as
> > notifications would be considered ?
>
> ask on nagios-devel. Chances are high that it would have to be
> extremely useful to be included in the current CGI code. Since your
> purpose appears to duplicate existing functionality, you need to make
> a strong case for it.

If the docs say that 'in the future this will be used to display in the
web cgi's', I assume the case was already made by someone else, no ?

Thanks
Thomas

--
I used to play with toy guns and knives with my daddy
He never taught me how to kill