Service Return Code 255 Problem

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Nov 14 18:16:03 CET 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Novak, Mark wrote:

> on the web front end.  Strangely, those are just two of about 10
> different checks that all use the same "check_sap_ccms" check with the
> same argument for hostname and only these two are having errors.  Even
> stranger, I can execute those two checks via command line and they
> work
> fine.  The error is only in Nagios.

Based on this, you wouldn't see the return code that nagios is seeing
so you don't really know if it's right or not.

> Any advice on where to look would be much appreciated!

The plugin, when quitting, has an exit code of 255 which nagios
doesn't understand. Generally speaking, I would try -
- running the plugin exactly as defined as the nagios user. After it
exits, determine the exit code by immediately running 'echo $?'. Make
sure it's 0, 1, 2 or 3.
- if the plugin is a script and it calls other programs internally,
make sure that you can run them as the nagios user, exactly as they
are called, and that the exit code is 0 (or not 255).
- peruse the source code of the plugin and see if it exits with 255
anywhere and under what conditions.

- provide the location where you downloaded the plugin so that others
who don't have it can take a look and help further.

--
Marc