Notify more than once

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Tue Nov 18 20:28:00 CET 2008

I have a bunch of active, and even some passive, alerts that notify
every 'notification_interval' minutes properly until reset by an OK, but
I have on stubborn one.

Below I've provided all the config info that I think is relevant. Also
the entry in service.dat showing an unissued notification.

Can somebody help me figure out what I've done wrong?

Here is the definition of the service and everything that should define
the need to alert every five minutes.
define service {
        use passive-alert-only-service
        register 1
        notification_interval 5      <---- I expect a notify every five
minutes
        service_description viral_email_not_received
        hostgroup_name viral_email_not_received
        check_command generic_notify!viral email not received
        contact_groups edg
}
define service {
        name passive-alert-only-service
        use generic-service
        is_volatile 0
        active_checks_enabled 0
        passive_checks_enabled 1
        check_freshness 0
        register 0
        max_check_attempts      1
        normal_check_interval   1
        retry_check_interval    1
        notification_interval   0    <--- this should have been
overridden by the line in the service definition above, right?
        notification_period 24x7
        notification_options c
}

define contactgroup{
        contactgroup_name       edg
        alias   edg
        members edg
}

define contact{
        contact_name    edg  <----- This is me
        alias   Another Nagios Admin
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_options       d,r
        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
        host_notification_commands
host-notify-by-email,host-notify-by-epager
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email,notify-by-epager
        email   xxxxxxxxxxx
        pager   xxxxxxxxxxx
}

The alert was fired with the following string sent to send_nsca:
admin005.geni.com       viral_email_not_received        2
sample_email not received

This is the current state of the alert from status.dat:
service {
        host_name=admin005.geni.com
        service_description=viral_email_not_received
        modified_attributes=0
        check_command=generic_notify!viral email not received
        event_handler=
        has_been_checked=1
        should_be_scheduled=0
        check_execution_time=0.000
        check_latency=3.015
        check_type=1
        current_state=2
        last_hard_state=2
        current_attempt=1
        max_attempts=1
        state_type=1
        last_state_change=1227034513
        last_hard_state_change=1227034513
        last_time_ok=0
        last_time_warning=0
        last_time_unknown=0
        last_time_critical=1227034513
        plugin_output=sample_email not received
        performance_data=
        last_check=1227034513
        next_check=0
        current_notification_number=1
        last_notification=1227034516    <---- this time is accurate as
to the first alert
        next_notification=1227034816    <---- this alert never happened
and is now eleven minutes in the past as I write
        no_more_notifications=0
        notifications_enabled=1
        active_checks_enabled=0
        passive_checks_enabled=1