CLOSE_WAIT

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 17 19:56:02 CEST 2008

Nair wrote:
> check_pop keeps many sessions open in my mail server.
>
> Please see netstat -a in my mail server.
>
> tcp        1      0 pop.test.com:110 nagios.test.com.:39689 CLOSE_WAIT
> tcp        1      0 pop.test.com:110 nagios.test.com.:29837 CLOSE_WAIT
> tcp        1      0 pop.test.com:110 nagios.test.com.:18718 CLOSE_WAIT
> tcp        1      0 pop.test.com:110 nagios.test.com.:18460 CLOSE_WAIT
> tcp        1      0 pop.test.com:110 nagios.test.com.:44871 CLOSE_WAIT
>
> Any clue?

You don't have to do anything about it unless the number of
connections waiting to close keeps growing. If you still want
to do something about it, you can try to, as root on your
mailserver, run this command:

  sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout=20

Although you seem to be running the pop3 check awfully often, as
the default timeout doesn't seem to trigger between checks.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se