Dynamic host, hostgroup and service addition/subtraction

Martin Melin mmelin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 00:59:16 CET 2009

We have a config with similar characteristics (EC2 app)

Set up templates so that the only unique information in your host
definition is the IP address, then have your scaling scripts add and
remove definitions for your nodes. For easy management, I suggest
having one host definition per .cfg file in a subdirectory.

Have cron send Nagios a HUP to reload the config every 5 or 10
minutes, and you should be good to go.

Use regex matching with host and service group names to get nice
dynamic group memberships etc.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Martin Melin