Event Handlers, start a java program, nohup issues.

Thu Jul 2 16:31:22 CEST 2009

First, put a space in front of that &. Otherwise, it may be treated as
part of the variable name.

Second, I believe that the 2>&1 needs to come AFTER the redirection to
$LOG_FILE. Otherwise, what you are doing is redirecting stderr to stdin
- which is still the console - and THEN redirecting stdin to the log
file. I always get this wrong, though - it might be exactly opposite of
what I'm thinking.

But if I'm right, because stderr is still attached to the console,
nagios would still consider it to be in the foreground.

Marco Tirado wrote:

> That is exactly what I am doing (or trying to do with) the "&"
> character at the end of my command. But it does not appear to be
> working, the command looks like this:
>
> nohup $JAVA_CMD -cp $CLASSPATH $JVM_OPTIONS JMXServer $PORT </dev/null
> 2>&1 >> $LOG_FILE&
>
> Any suggestions? Am I missing something else?
>
> //Marco
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se
> <mailto:ae at op5.se>> wrote:
>
>     Marco Tirado wrote:
>
>         Hello Users:
>
>         I have a problem with an event handler of mine. The handler
>         starts a java
>         daemon-like program which loops forever waiting for
>         connections and performs
>         JMX queries against our java applications.
>
>         The problem is that the handler times out when it is run by
>         nagios. This is
>         what I see in the logs:
>
>         [01-07-2009 18:45:36] SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
>         bj-mon-01;JMX_Server_Running;(null);(null);(null);start_jmx_server
>         [01-07-2009 18:46:07] Warning: Service event handler command
>         '/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/start_jmx_server
>         CRITICAL SOFT 1'
>         timed out after 30 seconds
>
>         The event handler should start my JMXServer both in hard and
>         soft states. I
>         have run the command from the console as the "nagios" user and
>         it works, so
>         the problem has nothing to do with user rights for nagios.
>
>         The problem is that the handler hangs when I run "nohup"
>         followed by my
>         command for starting the server (see the red text below).
>
>         My event handler looks like this:
>
>         ###########################
>         # PROPERTIES
>         ###########################
>
>         PORT="4444"
>         ECHO_CMD="/bin/echo"
>         JAVA_CMD="/usr/bin/java"
>         CLASSPATH="MyClasspath"
>         JVM_OPTIONS="MyOptions"
>
>         ###########################
>
>         # What state is the JMXServer in?
>         case "$1" in
>
>         OK)
>                ;;
>
>         WARNING)
>                ;;
>
>         UNKNOWN)
>                ;;
>
>         CRITICAL)
>
>                case "$2" in
>
>                SOFT)
>
>                        `$ECHO_CMD "TRYING restart" >> /tmp/test`
>                        nohup $JAVA_CMD -cp $CLASSPATH $JVM_OPTIONS
>         JMXServer $PORT
>         </dev/null 2>&1 >> $LOG_FILE&
>                        `$ECHO_CMD "TRYING restart" >> /tmp/test`
>
>                        ;;
>
>                HARD)
>
>                        `$ECHO_CMD "TRYING restart" >> /tmp/test`
>                        nohup $JAVA_CMD -cp $CLASSPATH $JVM_OPTIONS
>         JMXServer $PORT
>         </dev/null 2>&1 >> $LOG_FILE&
>                        `$ECHO_CMD "FINISHED trying" >> /tmp/test`
>
>                        ;;
>
>                esac

> [...]

Kevin Keane
Owner
The NetTech
Find the Uncommon: Expert Solutions for a Network You Never Have to Think About

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.