DNS down and false alerts...

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jun 9 18:21:21 CEST 2009

On Jun 9, 2009, at 10:42 AM, Randal, Phil wrote:

> Option 5:  Install a local caching DNS server on your nagios box,
> and put 127.0.0.1 at the top of resolv.conf.

My reading of the issue, and I believe that I've seen it in the past
as well, is that the problem isn't with DNS resolution on the nagios
box but DNS resolution happening on the target boxes. Installing a
caching nameserver on the nagios box isn't going to help any. The
target system is trying to do a DNS lookup on the connecting host
(nagios). The OP isn't specific on how he's checking these boxes so it
could be xinetd, nrpe, whatever... The default timeout for DNS server
failure detection in the resolver libraries is too long so the plugin
times out. I'd personally look at changing that timeout and rotation
between servers in resolv.conf (options timeout:x rotate).

--
Marc