Nagios and MySQL

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Mar 25 23:48:45 CET 2009

2009/3/25 Mark Weaver <mweaver at compinfosystems.com>:
> Hi List,
> I was wondering if anyone has connected their standard Nagios installation
> up to a MySQL backend?

Yes, NDOUtils.

> I'm looking at this from a purely disaster recovery aspect. It's easy enough
> to backup the configuration, but the data is another matter.

Why?  In a standard configuration, the data is a bunch of files which
can be backed-up using tar or whatever your favourite backup utility
is.

> My current Nagios installation is version 3 installed on a CentOS
> 4.7 server. The installation was done via Yum from the rpmforge repo.
> Much
> cleaner install than compiling the tarballs and much easier to manage.
> Yes, I could archive all the installation paths, but because they were
> installed via the RPM method things are spread out all over the file system.

If you had installed from source tarball, then most of your Nagios
install would be under /usr/local/nagios/ .

> It would be real nice if I had all the data contained within a MySQL
> backend. That way if I had to restore should my Nag server die or suffer
> some horrible fate it could be a matter of reinstalling the packages,
> restoring the /etc/nagios directory where all the configs live, restore the
> database and I'm off again.

The install from tarball isn't so onerous, and you'll find that Nagios
then isn't spread all over the place but is mostly found under
/usr/loca/nagios/ .

> I've looked at a few suggested Nagios front ends including Centreon and they
> turned out to be bad experiences. Mostly due to the fact that being
> a Nagios noobie I didn't know what the hell the front was doing.

I'm sorry Mark, but installing from repositories using yum is pretty
much the same.  If you want to see how things work and have a truly
standard install, you need to install Nagios from the source tarballs.
 Believe me, I started off installing Nagios using yum on Fedora a
while back and soon got bitten on the bum when I found the repository
had Nagios compiled with embedded perl enabled but the plugins I was
using wouldn't work with that.

In a truly standard Nagios install (if there is such a thing), the
configs are under /usr/local/nagios/etc not /etc/nagios .  These
things become important when you start looking at installing some of
the really neat addons for Nagios like pnp4nagios graphing, NExSM
status map, NagVis dashboards and so on.