How to monitor linux host ?

N Patil N.Patil at lntinfotech.com
Wed May 27 11:50:17 CEST 2009

I have already setup nagios which is working fine. It can monitor my
localhost and window box perfectly with default configs provided.
Can anyone help me to setup/monitor unix host?  I have these things ready
with me

template.cfg,

define host{
        name                            redhat-server    ; The name of
this host template
        use                             generic-host    ; This template
inherits other values from the generic-host template
        check_period                    24x7            ; By default,
Linux hosts are checked round the clock
        check_interval                  5               ; Actively check
the host every 5 minutes
        retry_interval                  1               ; Schedule host
check retries at 1 minute intervals
        max_check_attempts              10              ; Check each Linux
host 10 times (max)
        check_command                   check-host-alive ; Default command
to check Linux hosts
        notification_period             workhours       ; Linux admins
hate to be woken up, so we only notify during the day
                                                        ; Note that the
notification_period variable is being overridden from
                                                        ; the value that
is inherited from the generic-host template!
        notification_interval           120             ; Resend
notifications every 2 hours
        notification_options            d,u,r           ; Only send
notifications for specific host states
        contact_groups                  admins          ; Notifications
get sent to the admins by default
        register                        0               ; DONT REGISTER
THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

redhat5.cfg,
define host{
        use                     redhat-server
        host_name               redhat5.remotehost.com
        alias                   Redhat5 Remote Host
        address                 172.17.38.201
        contact_groups          admins
}

# HOST GROUP DEFINITION
# Define an optional hostgroup for Linux machines

define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name  redhat-servers ; The name of the hostgroup
        alias           Linux Servers ; Long name of the group
        members         redhat5.remotehost.com    ; Comma separated list
of hosts that belong to this group
        }

define service{
        use                     generic-service
        service_description     Root Partition
               contact_groups          admins
        check_command           check_nrpe!check_disk
}

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use
        host_name                       redhat5.remotehost.com
        service_description             Current Users
        check_command                   check_nrpe!check_users!20!50
        }

Thanks,
Nilesh