Controlling contacts/contactgroups with hostgroups/servicegroups

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:31:31 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Guy Waugh <guidosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I currently use host and service templates to add contacts for specific
> hosts and services. For example, for most of my services, only the admins
> need to be notified if the service goes down. For a few (critical) services,
> however, additional people need to be notified if the service goes down. I
> achieve this by adding an extra service template to these critical services
> -- the extra service template has a "contact_groups +critical-contacts"
> directive in it.
>
> This works fine, except that I have to define extra services because of
> this. For example, I run "check_http" service checks for a lot of hosts, but
> only "check_http" service checks on some (critical) hosts need to have the
> above 'critical-contacts' people notified if the HTTP service goes down. So,
> I need to define one "check_http" service for all the hosts with normal
> notifications and another "check_http" service for the critical HTTP
> services. That's a simple example... I have a lot of contactgroups and a lot
> of services, some of which are 'critical' services.
>
> I've recently thought that it would be much nicer to control contacts
> through hostgroups and servicegroups rather than templates. Because it isn't
> possible to define contacts for hostgroups and servicegroups, I tried
> creating a service template and having it as part of a servicegroup, and
> having the "critical-host,check_http" service be a part of the servicegroup.
> Unfortunately, it didn't work (i.e. the contacts for the service template
> didn't get notified when the service went down).
>
> Anyway, two questions:
>
> * Is anyone out there using hostgroups or servicegroups to control
> contacts/contactgroups? If so, how?
>
> * Is there any other way (other than applying extra templates to
> hosts/services to define extra contacts) that I can control
> contacts/contactgroups like this?
>
> Thanks...

I set up an on-call rotation using service escalations.  You could
take this logic and simply add contacts to hostgroups that way.

# secondary on call
define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name          z-allhosts
        service_description     .*
        contact_groups          +secondary
        first_notification      2
        last_notification       3
        notification_interval   30
        escalation_options      w,u,c,r
        }
# tertiary on call
define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name          z-allhosts
        service_description     .*
        contact_groups          +tertiary,secondary
        first_notification      4
        last_notification       0
        notification_interval   30
        escalation_options      w,u,c,r