[SPAM] - Re: nagios mail alerts to exchange - Email found in subject

Mark A. Lappin MarkL at lmfj.com
Wed Dec 22 15:23:37 CET 2010

> Thanks but I'd rather use postfix as it's the only linux mailing system I have a little experience with

You don't have to switch, you can use anything you want/need to, just have to configure it right

> When I follow
> root at greenland:/# telnet mail-server 25
> Trying 172.24.8.11...
> Connected to mail-server.domain.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> it all works fine but when I try and send an alert in Nagios I am getting :

First thing, change the samples they give you to be your mail server, and tell it that the from and to addresses are the same things that Nagios is trying to use.  That part is critical, otherwise you're not comparing apples to apples and you can't tell if you have an Exchange configuration or postfix configuration issue.

In Exchange you should check your Hub Transport Configuration for both the organization and server for how external mail is routed, domains you will accept mail locally for, domains you will relay for, IP's you will accept relay from.  In particular check your accept domains configuration and your transport configuration.

>> Dec 21 18:54:22 NAGIOS-SERVER postfix/local[4318]: 906432AA8E:
>> to=<nagiosreports at blah.co.uk>, relay=local, delay=7.6, delays=7.6/0.01/0/0.03,
>> dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user:"nagiosreports")

> so it obviously isn't going out
> any clues? : )
> I have it set to sattelitte system,

I don't have my Nagios box send mail as @mydomain.com,  it sends it as Nagios at nagios.mydomain.com - I think I had some issues with recipient not found when I was trying to just do @mydomain.com so I did this to make it work.  Check your config files, make sure everything seems reasonable; do you have the smarthost/relay host configured right, does it resolve right, did you give it just the computer name or did you give it a FQDN, have you tried switching it to an IP instead of a name to rule out a DNS lookup issue?   Check your relay domain list as well, that's gotten me before.

Make sure the nagiosreports at blah.co.uk if it is a local domain to your exchange server actually exists either as a mailbox, a distribution group, etc and that it has the correct smtp aliases configured (and if it is a group, who are the allowed senders to it, you probably can't restrict it to authenticated users only).

Then try your telnet test using the same parameters to talk to exchange to send mail as Nagios does.

Take Nagios out of the equation right now, get where you can use some simple mail diagnostics on your Ubuntu box to send mail to
Throw some tail -f's on your log files and see what happens.  If that's not working, hit up google or even some IRC channels and get that working first before you put Nagios back in the picture.

ML

Mark A. Lappin, CCNA, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator | Lee Michaels Fine Jewelry
Director of Information Technology
11314 Cloverland Ave  | Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Ph: 225.291.9094 ext 245 | Fax: 225.368.3675  | Mobile:  225-362-2770
www.lmfj.com

This communication is privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this communication .