Going Nuts trying to get check_by_ssh to work

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 21:27:44 CEST 2010

Hello All,

have been banging my head against the wall trying to get check_by_ssh to work.  No matter what I try to do, I keep getting Remote command execution failed: .

I have verified that I can ssh to the remote pc from the server as both root & the nagios user with no problem or password request so the key gen is fine.

If I run check_ssh -H hostname, I gt back a response so I also know ssh is running ok on the target machine. Do not see any issues in the logs, as far as I can tell, it should be working fine.  Am I missing something here?

I have tried running the check_by_ssh plugin from the command line with no success , specifying ports, protocol, user, etc

./check_by_ssh -H pbylinux7 -C '/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ssh' -2 -4 -p 22

and have created the following check :

services.cfg
define service {

        use                             local-service           ; check current
load on machine

        hostgroup_name                  ssh-nagios-services

        service_description             Current Load

        check_command                   check_ssh_load!5.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0

}

in command.cfg

# 'check_ssh_load' command definition

define command {

        command_name    check_ssh_load

        command_line    $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$"

}

hostgroup has also been added