check_openmanage

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Wed Apr 27 11:06:08 CEST 2011

Ashcor Technologies <ashcor at optonline.net> writes:

> ok, talked to dell, there is no hardware on the T105 that will allow
> monitoring of the fan, voltage, etc.. basically the only thing you can
> monitor is the raid array which is fine as that's all I really want to
> check with nagios.

Ok. I don't know the 100 series, but from what I understand they are
entry-level servers with limited capabilities and a low price tag. The
plugin will barf at servers that don't have the basic monitoring probes,
unless they are absent for obvious reasons (e.g. blades don't have
fans). I still think this is a good idea, as I've seen plenty of
instances where OMSA malfunctions in such a way that it will say a probe
doesn't exist when it actually does.

I'm reluctant to change that policy, so users of the 100 series will
have to exclude certain checks in the plugin. It is not ideal, but I
believe the problem to be limited since most would go for servers with
better monitoring capabilities (i.e. 200 series and beyond).

> Still have that pesky timeout after 30 seconds error though.  tried
> with --timeout 60 and with -t 60 and nothing seems to change the
> behavior.

Still weird. Did you try running the plugin manually with the timeout
option? Try 'check_openmanage.exe -t 60 [other options]'

Perhaps OMSA on the T105 hangs on some probe that doesn't exist. If
you're only interested in monitoring storage, you could try:

  check_openmanage.exe --only storage

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo