Passive monitoring multiple servers with 1 NAT IP

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Sat Dec 3 20:01:10 CET 2011

On 3 December 2011 17:46,  <a.smith at ukgrid.net> wrote:
>   ok great if its possible, however I did try setting this up and it
> didnt seem to work.
> I am using the NSClient++ on Windows servers, and under the NSCA
> section I have defined what is described as "LOCAL HOST NAME"
> correctly on each client. However when both clients are configured on
> the Nagios server updates are received to one and not the other, which
> makes me think its just asscoiating all inbound messages with the
> first matching IP (I have defined each host with an IP, I guess that
> is required too isnt it?),

The 'address' directive in the host definition is mandatory, yes, but
you can put anything in there you like.  If you are not doing any
active checks (and the active checks you might end up doing are
check_dummy anyway), then you can put what you like in there - it
won't be used for anything.

> If it isn't to do with the host definition having an IP defined then
> maybe I made some other config mistake, I can double check it all on
> Monday.

It sounds like it's probably some simple problem with the config on
the host which isn't working, yes.  Sometimes it helps to get nsca (on
the Nagios server) to write some debug to syslog.  I can't remember
off-hand how to do that, but it's probably found in
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nsca.ini or similar or if not, in the xinetd
entry for nsca which if I recall is in /etc/xinetd.d/nsca .

Check the nsclient.log file on the Windows system too, and make sure
there's nothing obvious in there.

Upper/Lower case is important for the host name so what you have in
the Nagios host definition must match what the agent is sending.