Feeding status information to SCOM?

Mike Clark Mike.Clark at masergy.com
Tue Dec 20 18:03:05 CET 2011

Troels,

I'm doing what Jim suggested by sending Nagios traps to an IBM Tivoli Netcool system and it's working fine.  I only had to issues that have bitten me enough to make me look at an approach similar to what you are suggesting in your ideas.

The first problem is the Check_NRPE tests will send me a timeout when they can't talk to the host but will not send me an all clear when they actually get in and get a response back from the host.  Not a huge issue, I just don't alarm in Netcool on Check_NRPE events anymore.  I instead using ping or check_ssh for my "Can't get to host or services on host" test.

The next issue was for a test that alarms at one level (number of files in a directory = 20,000) but we actually only want to do something at another level (60,000+ in this example).  The trap comes in once only for the crossing of the threshold and a second, clearing trap if we pass back below the threshold.  This is actually perfectly normal behavior it's just not quite what I want.  If I want to know that what the current number of files are in the alarm, I have to look at Nagios and not just Netcool.

If neither of those sound like an issue to you, I recommend it.  If not, it sounds like you have a good plan for moving forward.  I need to look at the NDOUtils and see if it has what I need because I'm probably going to write a gateway that reads the database every minute and pumps the latest "down" status into Netcool.

_______________________________________
Mike Clark
Sr. Manager, NMS Engineering
Email Mike.Clark at masergy.com
Office  +1 214 442 8807

Global Networking Redefined
www.masergy.com

AOL: mwclark4453
MSN: mclark at adapt2.com
Y!: mwclark_dallas
ICQ: 20250715

"nanos gigantum humeris insidentes" Bernard of Chartres
"nankurunaisa" George Miyagusuku