Monitoring a Microsoft SQL Server

Claudio Kuenzler ck at claudiokuenzler.com
Thu Nov 17 21:33:21 CET 2011

The other ports don't appear like typical MSSQL ports.
Do you have by any chance the Windows firewall still active? Maybe the port
is being blocked there?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968872

Or do you use a named instance? I found this information on
http://benchmarkitconsulting.com/colin-stasiuk/2009/02/02/what-tcp-port-is-sql-server-running-under/:
"If you have a named instance the TCP port is dynamically configured."
I've never seen this in a practical way before though.