Oracle RAC remote monitoring in Solaris: CRS resources status

CHAMBI, JORGE (JORGE) jorge.chambi at alcatel-lucent.com
Fri Sep 30 20:48:18 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am trying to develop a nagios plugin to monitor Oracle RAC services (status of CRS resources) on a remote Cluster that operates with Oracle Database 11g CRS Release 11.1.0.6.0 in a Sun Solaris SPARC environment. The CRS process monitors the Oracle database instances, listeners and so on.

I am using Nagios Core 3.2.3, nrpe 2.12, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (local nagios host) and Solaris 10 (remote cluster host).

The command I am using is crs_stat, I try to debug my script check_crs as follows:
# check_crs -- Nagios Plugins for Oracle Cluster
!/bin/sh
/opt/app/11.1.0/crs/bin/crs_stat -t | grep ora.CDB.db
echo $?

And I get the output as follows:
- When I run ./check_crs on the remote host it returns the following two lines:
ora.CDB.db     application    ONLINE    ONLINE    cdb1
0
This is good!
- However, when I run ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.162.8 -c check_crs it
returns only the following line:
1

What could be the problem?

I don't know exactly the cause of this issue but I think that perhaps the check needs some configuration and extra lines in some file like sudoers (but for Solaris 10 Server), nrpe usually does the check as an unprivileged user and the check needs to run commands as root and/or oracle dba User. So I guess the login is the problem!
In that case if it is a permission problem, will I need to install sudo for Solaris 10? How can I install and configure sudo in Solaris Server?
How does one configure sudo so that it will run?

Are there any other possible reasons? I would like to know what happens. Please I need some help on this, let me know if there is any comment, some input would be appreciated.

Thanks. Regards,
Jorge Chambi Villarroel