Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing

Justin T Pryzby justinp at norchemlab.com
Mon Jun 10 23:46:59 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 09:27:21PM +0000, MAHONEY, DANIEL wrote:

> check_raid          CRITICAL              06-10-2013 21:17:25        0d 6h 14m 29s    3/3         (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)
>
> This has me baffled. The return code is quite clearly 2.
>
> I recently set debug_level to -1 and restarted. I'm hoping that the debug log will

exit status 127 often means that "exec" failed - it wasn't able to
find the program/script specified.  That could be that "check_by_ssh"
was missing, or that CheckRaid.sh was missing, or that CheckRaid.sh
exited 127 because one of its commands was missing, perhaps because
PATH wasn't set as intended, probably missing /usr/local/s?bin or
such (I'm wagering it's that).

Your message was truncated, but if further debugging is needed, I'd
recommend using strace or sh -x to see what command isn't being found.

You could do something like:
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -H <remote server IP> -l nagios -i /home/nagios/.ssh/id_rsa -E -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -C 'sh -x /home/nagios/checkRAID.sh 2>nagios.err'

Or:
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -H <remote server IP> -l nagios -i /home/nagios/.ssh/id_rsa -E -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -C 'strace -e execve /home/nagios/checkRAID.sh 2>nagios.err'

BTW, using "su" to "become" a role account is typically unneeded, and
(I find) ugly.  You can almost always use sudo -H -u nagios ...
That works even if the account is locked/disabled/noshell/etc.

Justin