RFC embedded Perl Nagios changes: usability and performance.

Mon Jan 5 02:37:02 CET 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:09:49PM -0600, Ethan Galstad wrote:
> Hi Stanley -
>
> Your suggestions certainly sound worth pursuing.  I try to stay as
> far away as possible from the epn code, but if you submit patches
> against CVS HEAD (2.x), I'll include them in 2.0.

Right-O.

At this stage are I plan to

. complete ad-hoc testing of the consolidated patches (including
the change to returning plugin output that may improve Nag perf) myself

. call for testers

  -- fix problems

. submit the patches.

My testing of the usability changes is almost complete - runs like the
original one except handles plugin problems more gracefully.

Hopefully I will complete the changes and my testing this week.

Because the scope of the changes is small and concerns stuff that I have
some experience with, I don't expect any show stoppers.

> The one change I
> did make in 2.0 is add a config file option to unload/reload the epn
> after a certain number of uses to possibly help cut down on memory
> leaks (not sure if it will help though).

It will. That is the canonical way of dealing with this problem that
AFAIK afflicts all applications that embed Perl (the perlembed man page
says,

'
Note that the process will continue to grow for each file that it uses.
In addition, there might be AUTOLOADed subroutines and other conditions
that cause Perl's symbol table to grow.  You might want to add some
logic that keeps track of the process size, or restarts itself after a
certain number of requests, to ensure that memory consumption is
minimized.
'

this is particuarly relevant since the code that p1.pl is derived from
is none other than the example of a 'persistent interpreter' from that
man page.

).

This is a big step forward for the ePN support.

Yours sincerely.>

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.