Nagios 2.0!

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Oct 22 14:49:53 CEST 2004

Tom DE BLENDE (GCC) wrote:

> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>>> It means you were owned. You blame Ethan (you have no idea how bad
>>> mannered "Finally, we get to see the elusive Ethan on the mailing list."
>>

>> I didn't post that.
>

> You should work on your email formatting then, as it is clearly there.

Yes, perhaps that was the case, although I'm sure most people look at
the level of the reply depth indicators (usually a '>' sign) and quickly
deduce who wrote what. I'm sorry if I confused you in any way.

>> The difference is that many contributors are getting increasingly
>> annoyed about the lack of response to patches sent in. It doesn't
>> matter if a patch is committed or not, so long as we know whether the
>> author thinks it's a good idea or not to do so, but it's close to
>> impossible to keep working on other flaws when you have no idea if the
>> patch (or some form of it) will be committed or not.
>

> You know what the real difference is? Ethan is doing all this out of the
> goodness of his heart. Almost all time he spends on this project, is his
> own spare time. You and your company on the other hand, are working on
> Nagios to make money out of it. I know for which I have the most respect.

What's that got to do with anything? You're evading the issue at hand,
and I'm not sure you understand it. I was airing my concern that
contributors might stop contributing if we don't start getting some sort
of response back from Ethan about whether he thinks the issue addressed
in the patch needs to be dealt with or not. I was intentionally a bit
rude to provoke some sort of response. If Ethan had let the subject drop
quietly I would probably have forked the code completely and whatever
contributions I could have made would have been lost. If that happens
with enough contributors, the project dies. Browse back a while in the
nagios-devel archives and have a look at how much code in the current
CVS that hasn't been either written or suggested by someone other than
Ethan. I'm sure you'll be surprised.

> I don't know what you are trying to achieve by annoying Nagios monuments
> like Ethan and Karl,

I wasn't trying to annoy anybody. I was trying to fix a problem some of
the active contributors felt most keenly. I'm sure you would feel the
same if you had ever contributed anythingTo do that I had to tell the
truth about what we as outside contributors see. If the truth is
annoying, I suggest you take up politics. If nothing else it will give
you something to do other than polluting this mailing list with
non-issue rubbish like the paragraphs above.

> but by the looks of it, it is not helping your case...

As a matter of fact it already has. The very day after Ethans response
he committed (amongst others):
a bugfix patch by Matthew Kent (others found and fixed it as well, but
he was the first to submit a patch to the list)
an altered fix for command execution submitted by myself that raises the
execution string length for commands from 1024 to 4096, thus allowing
macros to be used safely and properly in notifications and checks.
an extension suggested (but not coded) by myself to include
HOSTACTIONURL, HOSTNOTESURL, SERVICEACTIONURL and SERVICENOTESURL macros
in commands.

This is excellent news, since I can now set my lab-environment to start
testing with the new codebase and know that my testing is worth
something in case I found any bugs. Thus I can contribute further
without having to do the same tests with a lot of different codebases.

I'm sure you can see how this benefits the community in general and
Ethan in particular. If you then consider that this holds true not only
for me but for every other contributor you'll notice and begin to
understand the synergy that is so easily obtained by quick commits to
CVS or at least acknowledgements that a particular patch will, in some
form, make it into the code.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer