GWT interface

James Harr james.harr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 05:27:36 CEST 2007

I think Tobias was referring to the client side (just the GWT stuff).
If you're not familiar, GWT is just Java compiled down to javascript
(you don't get all of java, like JNI, AWT, or any of the IO stuff,
which isn't really pertinent to web development anyway). It's what
gmail is built on, iirc. All your java code ends up being a single .js
file you load in your web page. The server side can be anything you
want (php, python, perl, C), it just has to communicate with your
webapp through something (I'm a fan of JSON, it's simple, and has
libraries for pretty much every language). In production use, you
don't have a JVM running anywhere. I'd personally sway away from using
java on the server side too, it overly complicates things. A python or
perl script that spits out nagios state info would be sufficient for
the server side.

Take a look at their "Kitchen Sink" example if you have a few minutes.
The source code is almost stupidly easy to write.
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/