NSCA using PROCESS_FILE

Hendrik Baecker andurin at process-zero.de
Wed Feb 28 08:14:18 CET 2007

Hi List,

interesting that several people have the same thought about processing
performance data.

A few weeks ago I posted to this list to discuss the best way to handle
perfdata processing.
Since we all know that executing some "*_perfdata_command" within nagios
will get us into latency trouble if we have more than x thousand services.

The thought of using a fifo to just let nagios write some data into a
"simple" filedescriptor should solve this issue, I think.

But I have some headache to create that pipe from an "external" process.

What about these thoughts:

1. What happens when the external Daemon crashes and the pipe will be
erased? Does is hurts nagios? Will nagios creates a regulary file to
keep on writing to this? Sounds like data loss doesn't it?
2. A collegue of mine told me that there are some effects with perl
created pipes that might cause some crashes to both processes when the
pipe dies... It would be worse if the perl daemon crashes, erase the
pipe (or something similar) and nagios crashes cause of missing it??

Since Nagios 3 is coming up, what would be about a new feature to create
a new config option, that creates a "outgoing" pipe?

Something like this ones for a regular file:

host_perfdata_file=/tmp/host-perfdata
service_perfdata_file=/tmp/service-perfdata

and this:

host_perfdata_pipe=/tmp/host-perfdata.fifo
service_perfdata_pipe=/tmp/service-perfdata.fifo

to let nagios create that pipe and handle it.

In this way, we were able to control the data running in that pipe
through the known "data_file_templates" or similar. Nagios watches over
this pipe an any external Daemon / Script / Whatever might read out of
it like the external command pipe but in the other direction.

IMHO this might be cleaner as writing some script daemons, cause nagios
controls this pipe.
When nagios is alive, the pipe is alive and doesn't care about the
outside world.

Just my 2 cents.

Kind regards,
Hendrik