orca with Nagios logs

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Dec 10 00:24:25 CET 2002

I've gotten as far as downloading Orca and taking a cursory look at the
docs.  I also reconfigured/recompiled nagios with the --with-file-perfdata
option, then defined the xpdfile_service_perfdata_file directive in
nagios.cfg.  I found the output to be pretty much what the doctor ordered,
but I've still been giving this some thought.

I've been wondering that if one configures/compiles nagios with
--with-mysql-xdata, then would the necessary data be there to be able to do
time-series graphing?

Even as I write this, I'm looking over JpGraph:

  http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/

and wondering if this, plus PHP, plus the GD library, plus MySQL, aren't
just the ticket for creating reports on-the-fly...?  This way, we might be
able to select a host, a timeperiod, and between 1 and N services, and
kicking out graphs which would tell us what we need to know.

The obvious win is that the data should only be written once (MySQL), thus
keeping disk I/O down to a dull roar.  I can't imagine any environment where
there would be more than a handful of browsers set to refresh every 90
seconds, and thus the impact on the 'image creation' side should be nominal.

Perhaps someone could scrutinize my idea...?

jc