Check_ifstatus / SNMP.pm problems

Nolan Martin Nolan.Martin at co.travis.tx.us
Fri Oct 4 15:43:55 CEST 2002

I am trying to get check_ifstatus going and am having some difficulties
getting NET-SNMP and the Perl SNMP module configured properly.

I have installed both NET-SNMP and the SNMP.pm, but I still receive the
following error message, when I attempt to run the check_ifstatus
command from the nagios libexec directory to test it:

# ./check_ifstatus -H 10.5.1.11
Can't locate object method "session" via package "Net::SNMP" (perhaps
you forgot to load "Net::SNMP"?) at ./check_ifstatus line 128.

As I mentioned, I installed NET-SNMP and installed the SNMP perl module
following the instructions that accompany both of those components.  I
also followed Subhendu Ghosh's postings from August 21st (RE:
[Nagios-users] SNMP.pm Solution/problem) and attempted to install
again/verify my perl module installation by installing it using the CPAN
shell.  That attempt returns that Net::SNMP is up to date.

Obviously, I missed some step or have failed to do some configuration.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

My system is Red Hat 7.3.  I am running Perl 5.6.1, although there
appears to be an existing 5.6.0 installation as well.  I am using the
Nagios Plugins v1.3 Beta1 plugins and the latest version of Net-SNMP
5.0.5 (released 10/1/2002)

Here are the steps I went through.

INSTALLED NET-SNMP
* Downloaded and extracted Net-SNMP 5.0.5
* ./configure
* make
* umask 022
* make install

INSTALLED / VERIFIED PERL SNMP MODULE
* From the perl subdirectory of the extracted NET-SNMP directory, ran:
perl Makefile.PL
* make
* make test
* make install
* Since the SNMP.pm was installed to
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux, but my understanding was that
NET-SNMP actually looks for it under a directory named Net, I created a
directory named Net and copied SNMP.pm to that folder as well.
* Executing the check_ifstatus now finds the SNMP.pm in its included
paths, but produces the session error message
* Tried to install again/verify the SNMP.pm installation by installing
it through the CPAN shell:
perl -MCPAN -e "install Net::SNMP" - That attempt returns that
Net::SNMP is up to date.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Nolan