authentication & access limit

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Sat Nov 15 16:18:58 CET 2003

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Spyou [mailto:spyou at club-internet.fr]
	Sent: Sat 11/15/2003 8:53 AM
	To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
	Subject: [Nagios-users] authentication & access limit

	Hi,

	I'm playing with Nagios (and netsaint before) for a while ... I have coded
	some extra suffs, mainly some rrd interfaces to graph almost every datas
	collected by nagios

	I'd like to let customers access thoses graphs. The simplest way to link
	nagios states to thoses graphs is to use the "service ext info" feature of
	nagios. Each service that has an rrd graph now had a little button that
	links to my cgis that displays the graphs

	thoses CGI are called with an URL like
	http://nagios.blabla.com/cgi-bin/mycgi.cgi?host=hostnameofthecustomer&service=servicename

	Everything's fine ... but if a customer use
	"mycgi.cgi?host=mybox&service=httphealth" and change the URL
	"mycgi.cgi?host=neighborshost&service=httphealth" he will access
	informations from another host that he's not supposed to be able to see

	Has anyone an idea to limit access in mycgi.cgi so that people can only see
	hosts & service they are contact for ? (please note : i don't wanna parse
	the whole nagios config to get this info :)

	--------

	You've just eliminated the only sure way to know if they're authorized for that host and service. If you wanted to be absolutely certain that the user was supposed to able to see information for a specific host you need to know if  they're associated with the host and that information is going to be in the nagios config files. An alternative would be to store a simplified version of that information in a database for your scripts use and just query that based on the value of HTTP_USER.

	If you have authentication properly set up and customers will always be getting to your custom cgi through extinfo.cgi or status.cgi, you can check to make sure that HTTP_REFERRER is one of those cgi's and deny or redirect everything else. If they attempt to modify the URL as above then the referrer will be blank. I believe that some browsers will let you control the value of HTTP_REFERRER so an enterprising user could theoretically foil this thin skin of security.

	--

	Marc