Dependency problem

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Apr 8 12:35:15 CEST 2004

Paul L. Allen wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson writes:
>
>> If compensation is the issue notifications should be turned off and
>> nagios used as a report tool. Setting the variables that control
>> nagios's logic to a value that is clearly creating problems isn't the
>> right way to suppress notifications.
>
> So if Nagios keeps showing that you have network problems the fix is to
> alter the configuration so that Nagios no longer reports them rather than
> trying to find out why you have network problems and deal with them.

If the issues are long since known and the kind of notification
suppressions implemented prevents nagios from functioning properly, then
yes.

> That
> is the logic you applied when you said that he had a "crappy network" and
> therefore it can't be "mission critical" for him.
>
>> If you want me to not filter your posts in the future,
>
> Nah, I'm more than happy for you to plonk me.  Or to say you have.

Done.

>> It is actually possible to argue over something without claiming the
>> other party to be an idiot.
>

> But in your first response to me here, you called me an
> idiot.  Pot, etc.

A baldfaced lie. I said you didn't seem to be too comfortable around C
code. I also appologized a couple of mailings later if it offended you
(which it shouldn't have. Many people don't know a thing about C code
and get by just fine).

--
Mvh
Andreas Ericsson