notification and service configuration

ktulu at net2000.com.au ktulu at net2000.com.au
Tue Jan 6 04:45:21 CET 2004

Hi All,

I have a question about Nagios configuration in regards to servers behind a
firewall and also notifications.

I have three machines that I'm trying to monitor  behind a firewall that does
not allow ICMP packets, so therefore I cannot ping to the machines to verify
that they are up.  Each machine has at least three services that I'm monitoring
(SSH, VNC, etc) which are reported as "OK", however, if one of these services
goes down even once, the _host_ is considered to be "DOWN" and stays down, even
when the service comes back up.  How can I configure Nagios to report that the
host is down only if _all_ services are down and to also ensure that the host is
reported as being OK even if some of the servies are down?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Leigh