AW: Cannot map "tcp" to protocol number

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Nov 2 09:40:14 CET 2004

Jason Signalness wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately, I don't see any reference to the
> protocols file when I do an strace on an execution of check_httpd.  The
> only problems I see opening files are attempts to open a file called
> /etc/ld.so.preload and a file called /etc/ldap.secret.
>
> Andreas suggested that, at this point, I rebuild my glibc libraries.
> That sounds rather risky, and I haven't noticed any other problems on
> this system.  I'm not convinced this is a Nagios problem, but isn't
> messing with glibc risky on a production system?

Indeed, but having a flawed one might be even worse.
The getprotobyname(3) manpage clearly state that it should use
/etc/protocols for returning a protocol entry matching the supplied
name. If yours doesn't, it's most likely broken or at some point decides
not to use the protocols file. My getprotobyname(3) doesn't look for
ldap.secrets, for instance. Perhaps libldap provides a getprotobyname as
well? That could be an issue.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer