Global symbol "$STATUS_UNKNOWN" requires explicit package name at (eval43) line 49.

Alwyn Cherrington a.cherrington at notes.manchester.gov.uk
Mon Nov 22 19:12:03 CET 2004

New to Linux but successfully had Nagios 1.0 running on AIX 4,3 box.

Running RedHat 8 ( having trouble upgrading to RedHat 9 )

 Configured Nagios 1.2 but get similar eval errors to... any help would be
appreciated. Thanks in advance

Is there anyway of contacting this user from the email
nagios-user archive mailing list as to how he resolved
this problem ...

From: Jason Lixfeld <jlixfeld at fa...>
Strange errors & Error: Could not read host and service
status information!
2002-03-06 14:29
I"m getting the "Error: Could not read host and
service status
information!" error but I"m unable to figure out where
it"s coming from.
I"ve gone through all the checks the error page told me
to go through:

1) Nagios is running, although I had to change the
syntax in cgi.cfg to:

process_check_command=/services/monitoring/nagios/lib
exec/check_netsaint
-F /services/monitoring/nagios/var/status.log -e 5 -C
/services/monitoring/nagios/bin/nagios
because the defacto command would never find the
process.

Because check_nagios doesn"t exist, check_netsaint
was used instead. I
tried to rename check_netsaint to check_nagios, and all
relovent syntax
and config options, but that didn"t help either.

2) I"ve checked my configuration with -v and there are
no errors or
warnings.

3) Here is the ./configure output for the various options
and data
routines:

General Options:
-------------------------
Nagios user: nagios
Nagios group: nagios
Command user: nagios
Command group: ncmd
Embedded Perl: yes, with caching
Install ${prefix}: /services/monitoring/nagios
Lock file: ${prefix}/var/nagios.lock
Init directory: /etc/rc.d/init.d

Web Interface Options:
------------------------
HTML URL: http://localhost/nagios/
CGI URL: http://localhost/cgi-bin/nagios/
Web help: yes
Ping (used by WAP): /bin/ping -n -U -c %d %s
Traceroute (used by WAP): /usr/sbin/traceroute

External Data Routines:
------------------------
Status data: Default (text file)
Object data: Template-based (text file)
Comment data: Default (text file)
Downtime data: Default (text file)
Retention data: Default (text file)
Peformance data: Default (external commands)
Extended info data: Template-based (text file)

The only strange thing is what is listed below... It pops
up on the
parent window every service check interval.

Anyone have any ideas?

"$STAUS_OK" requires explicit package name at (eval
43) line 47.
Global symbol "$STATUS_WARN" requires explicit
package name at (eval 43)
line 48.
Global symbol "$STATUS_UNKNOWN" requires explicit
package name at (eval
43) line 49.
Global symbol "$STATUS_CRIT" requires explicit package
name at (eval 43)
line 50.
Global symbol "$CGIURL" requires explicit package name
at (eval 43) line
51.
Global symbol "$TIMEOUT" requires explicit package
name at (eval 43)
line 52.
Global symbol "$rta" requires explicit package name at
(eval 43) line
53.
Global symbol "$pl" requires explicit package name at
(eval 43) line 54.
Global symbol "$PACKETS" requires explicit package
name at (eval 43)

the system manager.

Please contact internet.administrators at notes.manchester.gov.uk with any queries