GPL Licencing

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jun 1 11:45:05 CEST 2005

Davy Gaussen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how exactly Nagios can be sell, or more
> precisely, the Nagios configuration sell. Therefore, can I modify the
> main page of the Nagios Web Interface for my client (like replace
> Nagios logo by its own, change colors, etc) ?

Yes you can. The GPL explicitly states that such things must be allowed
(it's a freedom). Deviations from this requires addendums to the GPL for
the package itself. Nagios has no such addendums, and any and all such
addendums violates the GPL, making a whole bunch of legalese necessary
to make other parts of the GPL apply.

What you cannot do is to make changes to the sourcecode, sell the
altered version and not make the changed sources available through the
same distribution media as the non-source package. HTML, being a
non-compiled visrep-language is always in source-code form so this
doesn't apply.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer