Nagios as -d or background issue.

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano msugano at uolinc.com
Tue Nov 1 17:34:13 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 11:14 -0500, David Musser wrote:
> I'm new to nagios.  We have it setup on several servers, and all was
> working nicely until a power outtage the other day on a server nagios
> is monitoring with the plugins.
>
> So now I'm not sure if the new issue is relating to that or something
> else.

Check if you have more than one Nagios processess running at the same
time. And...

> Scenario.
>
> - Running nagios via the command line - everything is ok and works as
> expected.

What Nagios version and what is the plugin release?

> - Running nagios via a background process & and using the nohup to
> keep output gives status of unknown on several of the service checks
> for a solaris server.

What kind of output of those unknowns alerts?

> - Running nagios via the nagios -d command or the init.d/nagios script
> gives status of unknown on several of the service checks for a solaris
> server.

Always remember to kill the nagios process before starting another one.

> Note we are checking using ssh, talking to the plugins.  Running the
> check_by_ssh command by itself works, and returns the correct status.
> It's only when the service is run as a service or background process
> that we see the odd behavior.

You also should check if the user you run the check_by_ssh is root, and
then you have everything running fine, and the user who always check
things is nagios, or the same user who owns the nagios process.

> -D

PS: Sending more than one email, didn't get you answered faster. It is a
mailling list, not a helpdesk.

> --
> David R. Musser
> MCP & MCP +I