Questions Galore

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 7 22:53:32 CEST 2005

Dale Blount wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>

> I'm finally finishing up my Nagios installation and have a few questions
> that I haven't been able to find good answers to.
>

> 1) I have one host that has a bad mobo/NIC/driver or something that
> times out every so often.  The box is going away soon so I don't really
> care to fix it, however almost every time this box, another certain
> hosts SMTP service goes offline as well.  Could this be caused by
> Nagios' scheduling order (same host always goes down with it) or do I
> just have a genuine network problem?

Without further investigation it's impossible to say for sure, but it
sounds like a network problem.

> 2) I have a couple contacts with pager address defined, but not all host
> groups they belong to should send pages.  Should I make this person two
> contacts - user-email and user-page?  Add both of them to hosts groups
> where they should get paged or is there a cleaner solution.

It's normal to define two contacts, as the two addresses are distrinctly
different targets. People tend to associate contacts with people rather
than notification targets, which messes up the planning.

> 3) Does anyone have a good way to get alerts to AIM addresses?
> Everything I can find is incomplete.

www.nagiosexchange.com (or .org, I can't remember) has some stuff on
notifications. Otherwise, google is your friend. It should be possible
to hack something up with that text-based IM-thingie. Can't remember its
name right now, but it supports MSN, ICQ, AIM and most of the other
common things.

> 4) Every so often I get hosts which are physically unreachable.
> check_ping however, just times out at the -t X setting instead of
> reporting unreachable.  Any ideas?

This happens because a switch or router on the same network still has
the MAC-address in its ARP-tables. There's really no solution to this
the first time the plugin is run. check_icmp does a better job of
detecting it, but will most likely also time out the first time or two
it's run, given the low timeout thresholds generally in use with nagios
plugins compared to the higher ones used in most networks.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer