parent/child and alerts

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Mon Sep 12 20:31:37 CEST 2005

>> I ping the far end (the provider's end) serial interface of each of
>> our DS1's.  And just for good measure, in the host alias, I detail
>> the circuit ID and support line number for each of them.
>
> I have no idea how to do that. :(

Just find out the IP address(es) for the remote end of your pipe(s)
to your network provider, and create new host(s) for it.  Then,
use your router as a parent for the host above.  If your pipe goes
down, you get alerted about it, and only it.

                ISP

                 * ISP's end of your pipe (a.b.c.d)

                 | Your pipe to your ISP

                 * Your router (e.f.g.h)

            Your network

So, you could define two hosts, one for your router, and one for
your ISP's router:

define host{
        use                     generic-host
        host_name               upstream-t1
        parents                 my-router
        alias                   upstream-t1 - Our internet connection
        address                 a.b.c.d
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        contact_groups          network-admins
        }

define host{
        use                     generic-host
        host_name               my-router
        alias                   my-router - Our internet connection router
        address                 e.f.g.h

--
"Now, that next spring you find in your garage a creature that
looks like a cross-bred badger and anaconda. A badgerconda."