Host checks not performed

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Dec 14 17:26:32 CET 2006

Toto Capuccino wrote:
> Hi List fellows,
>
> I am trying to configure nagios 2.6 with the help of fruity. I have created
> a few hosts which use the check-host-alive command provided in the sample
> files. The check host alive command is part of my default host template
> which i use on all the hosts.
> Strangely only one host is appearing UP and all other remain in Pending
> State after 40 minutes.

Nagios only checks hosts after a service on them have returned non-OK.
If a service on the host returns OK without a hostcheck having been run,
the status of the host is set to UP and the host-check output is set to
"Services working, so host assumed to be up" (or something like that).

In short, if you have no services defined for your hosts, they will
never be checked (normally) and therefore never appear as UP or DOWN.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se