Switch Port Monitoring

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jun 26 00:03:57 CEST 2006

> Anyone like to share how they monitor switch ports?

Here, we use MRTG to graph the switch ports, and the routers2 frontend to
MRTG to make it pretty.  Also, the routers2 frontend has a Nagios plugin to
allow the Nagios data to be displayed as well -- and a portstatus plugin to
show the current individual port configuration and status.

For Nagios, we use a simple ping service and then use the hostextinfo url to
link to the MRTG graphs page.  On some switches, we also have a CPU use
service.  We also have an SNMP trap service and the switches send SNMP traps
to the Nagios host which are parsed and relayed to the appropriate service.
Port up/down etc generate traps which can in turn generate alerts.

Finally, for key switch ports, and additional service can be defined for
that particular port status OID.  It should be possible to do something
similar for port traffic thresholding, but we dont.

Steve