help please - SNMP

Mike Koponick mkoponick at redhawk.info
Thu Mar 9 23:24:10 CET 2006

Robert,

Here is a brief sample of a check_snmp command that I using to grab the
system description.

define service {

        use                                   Sensor-ND

        hostgroup_name                Switches,Routers,Firewalls

        service_description             Check-ND-Show-version

        check_command                check_snmp!sysDescr.0!public

        register                        1

        }

I do use a template for this one, but it's fairly simple (mostly
defaults).

When I want to find out what an OID is, or ?? I use snmpwalk to "walk"
the MIB of the device. It gives enough information so you will want to
start drinking early in the day. ;-)

I hope that helped.

Mike