[Fwd: Syncing configs between 2 nagios servers-permissions]

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Sat Sep 2 04:06:13 CEST 2006

> Patrick, I assume you must have your two nagios server
> co-located at the same site and connected to the same
> switches. Otherwise do you have a method for rewriting your
> configs to change the parent directives to match the view
> from your backup/remote nagios machine.

I have not attempted two duplicate master servers in different locations
-- too many complications there.  I have dual master servers in one
location, and slave machines in other locations that can monitor
independently, and have their own web interfaces enabled.

Under normal circumstances, the masters do all the alerting, and that's
where people use the web interface (since those boxes are the place
where you can see everything in one place).  However, in the case of a
failure of one of those masters, the slaves turn notifications on and
begin notifying independently.

Nearly all of my checks are designed to be performed from the slave
servers and submitted via on ocsp command to the masters, so they
continue working if the masters die.  Each of the slaves monitors each
of the masters, so they all have their own independent view of whether
their attached to the Nagios "cluster" or not.  Parent/Child
relationships are set up based on how they are viewed from the slave
boxes doing the monitoring.

All of my checks are set up with templates (e.g., "slave1-service,
slave2-service, etc." that may or may not be defined differently on
different hosts.  In your case. I might define "host_name" as nag1 in a
slave1-service, and nag2 in a slave2-service.