Option append_to_file in nsca.cfg

Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) J.F.Wheeler at rl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 13 15:59:00 CET 2007

As I have said before my configuration consists of 1 master server and 2
slaves with about 700 hosts and 16000 checks.  In the file nsca.cfg
which configures the nsca daemon, there is an append_to_file option
which is (by default) set to 0 for writing to the command file rather
than 1 for appending to it.  Please would someone explain why appending
to the command file is deprecated.  I ask because I can have several
nsca processes running every second; if each of them writes to the
command file, the output from previous nsca processes has been lost;
this would explain why my master server issues so many tests itself
because test results become stale.  I should add that the command file
is a pipe and it is reaped every 4 seconds.  Perhaps I am
misunderstanding something, about the nature of a pipe ?  Or perhaps the
documentation in the configuration file is misleading/wrong ?

Jonathan Wheeler
e-Science Centre
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory