Monitoring Nagios

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Thu Nov 29 18:00:00 CET 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 4:52 AM, Mohr James wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> We had a problem the other day where the nagios process died and no
> one
> noticed it for over 30 minutes. Therefore, I was thinking about ways
> monitor Nagios itself. One simply way would be a cronjob that checks
> if
> the nagios process is running and then uses yaps or something to
> send an
> SMS. But what about cases where the nagios process is running, but for
> whatever reason the messages are not being processed.
>
> I was thinking about setting up a service that is triggered by a
> cronjob
> and then sends a notification. This notification writes a flag file
> and
> every X minutes a cron job checks the age of the flag file. If the
> flag
> file is too old, it sends an SMS via yaps.
>
> Rather than re-invent the wheel, I was wondering if other people had
> already implemented something similar.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim Mohr

For a simple solution that requires no additional software, I just use
the check_nagios plugin that comes with nagios, and run it from a
script/cron job. This not only checks to see if nagios has crashed,
but also checks the age of the status file. If a problem is detected
with either (and I have had both situations) the script then first
attempts to restart nagios via a full stop/start, then checks again
and e-mails me with the result. So far, this has always just been a
status notification saying that it had restarted nagios, as the stop/
start has worked as expected, but if for some reason that should fail
it would notify me of this fact as well.
Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd