Nagios 3 CGI backslash stripping

Mike Emigh maemigh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 20:34:07 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to report this, but I could
not find a bug tracker associated with Nagios.  There appears to be a
problem with the way the CGIs strip backslashes from plugin output.
The code which strips them appears to assume that whenever there is a
backslash, then it is escaping the next character.  However, this is
not always the case.  For example, backslashes on Windows partitions
consist of a single backslash which shouldn't be removed.

Copy and paste from status.dat:
plugin_output=OK: C:\: Total: 68.2G - Used: 12.6G (18%) - Free: 55.6G (82%)

In order to fix the problem on our install, I've commented out line
787 and replaced it with 788. I've also commented out 789.  As far as
I can tell, this change has not had an adverse effect on any other
output.

cgiutils.c:
785                          /* unescape backslashes and other stuff */
786                          else{
787                                  /* rawbuf[y++]=rawbuf[x+1]; */
788                                  rawbuf[y++]=rawbuf[x];
789                                  /* x++; */
790                                  }

Mike