Alert when status information changes

Thomas Harold tgh at tgharold.com
Mon Apr 28 13:01:19 CEST 2008

Sander Klein wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have two loadbalancers in active-passive mode. I would like to know
> when a failover happens.
>
> I don't want the service to become critical, unknown or warning I just
> want to know when it occurs. Is this somehow possible with nagios?
>
> A push in the right direction would be nice :-)

I'm very much a nagios-newbie, but I'm guessing (from reading my Pro
Nagios 2.0 book the past few weeks) that you'd use a combination of:

define service{
	service_description	loadbalancer-warnings
	is_volatile		1
	max_check_attempts	1
	active_checks_method	0
	passive_checks_enabled	1
	}

You'd supposedly use the send_nsca command on the remote host to send a
warning message to the NSCA daemon on the nagios host?

(I haven't tried this yet - and don't completely understand it - but it
was in the "Integrating Nagios" chapter where it talks about syslog-ng /
snort integration.)