Nagios 3.x on PowerPC

Dirk H. Schulz dirk.schulz at kinzesberg.de
Wed Aug 13 11:11:25 CEST 2008

Hi folks,

I am running several instances of Nagios 2.x on Linux machines. My main
instance monitors 30 hosts and 400+ service from a xen vm on an old PIII
dual - not noticable load on the machine involved.

No I have setup Nagios 3.03 via Macports on a dual cpu PowerMac G5 with
only 3 hosts and not even 100 services - and cpu usage is constantly
between 150 and 200 %.
Is Nagios 3.x compared to 2.x using much more resources, or must there be a
problem with it running on PowerPC and MacOS X especially? Has anybody
experienced this, too?

The other problem is that Nagios on the G5 sometimes stops working: no
checks are done any more; in other cases a sub process (e.g. one generating
an email notification) stops in the middle of action and resides in the
running process list for hours or days without errors showing anywhere.

I am stuck and do not have a good idea what to look at.

Any hint or help is appreciated.

Dirk