How to tell if a Service plugin result has multiline output?

Matthew Jurgens nagiosusers at edcint.co.nz
Wed Jul 16 14:00:25 CEST 2008

Nagios v3 now has multiline plugin output, but from what I can find the
only place you can see the detail of it or even discover that multiple
lines exist is on the service details screen (refer attachment
DetailStatus.jpg). The service summary screen (refer attachment
MainStatus.jpg) does not even offer a hint of multiline output.

As I missing something? Is there some configuration I can do?

I realise that each plugin could be rewritten to include something on
the first line of output if multiple lines existed (eg "more ....") but
this would not nicely integrate with Nagios.

It would be good if there was an icon (like the downtime/acknowledged
icons etc) showing that a service result had multiple lines of output at
the summary level so that at glance you can tell which detail screens
you needed to look at.