Nagios with NDOUtils is not working any more.

Marcin Praczko marcin at 2fluid.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 17:01:02 CEST 2008

Hi

> 'about 4'oclock' is a typical start time for cron.daily, cron.weekly
> and cron.monthly scripts, at least under Redhat and clones, all of
> which ran recently. Is there anything interesting set to run in those?
> Database backups, anything like that? You have free disk space on your
> database partition?

Yes, I checked cron tasks before I send this post. There was enough free space on partitions.

> I've seen this when ndo2db is doing it's initial logging to the
> database and database cleanup tasks. I too couldn't get debug to show
> anything but saw this activity using strace on the process. That
> initial process was taking a loooong time and seems to be noted in
> various places. 'mysqladmin showprocesslist' will show you any active
> connections to the database and a general idea of what it's doing. You
> could also try using 'strace -fs512 -p <pid of ndo2db> ' as root to
> see if it's doing anything. You can use CTRL-C to quit out of strace.
> I've found that using the 'Retain status file over a reload' patch at
>  http://www.altinity.org
>  works to mask the problem from the GUI.

Cheers - strace helped me.

I saw that ndo2db can't write to debug log file (wrong permissions).
So I changed permissions and I removed one database (old nagios_backup) from MySQL.
Don't know which helped but one of above solutions helped.
I think that was problem with permission, but log from strace shown that ndo2db asking DB and sending a lot queries.

> I recently experienced something similar.  The reason for it is that
> the plugin option to discard old data was disabled, and my servicechecks
> table grew to a size that MySQL didn't like.  If you can't insert a record
> in that table from PHPMyAdmin (or the command line), that may be your
> problem.

I was able to write to database and I already have setting to removed the oldest data from database. So problem was somewhere else.

Thank you for your help.

Marcin Praczko

Checked by AVG.