Nagiosgrapher showing different values over time

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed May 14 23:31:02 CEST 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 3:48 PM, Palle L Jensen wrote:

> Thanks for you response. I understand, but The question I had is why
> are the
> peaks that are showing on the daily and weekly graphs not appearing
> on the
> monthly and yearly graphs?

The RRD stores and graphs 1 point for every 5 minutes for the daily
RRA. You see every data point on the graph, including the peaks.

1 10 20 5 6 8 ...

Weekly RRA/graph shows 1 data point for every 30 minutes. The data
must be normalized based on a Consolidation function. Typically that's
Average so the above 5 minute intervals would result in a single data
point of 8.33333 graphed and stored in the weekly RRA.

'Monthly' RRA/graph shows 1 data point for every 2 hours. The 30
minute data points above are once again averaged (or whatever the
Consolidation function is) over the 2 hour interval and used to
generate the monthly RRA and graph.

'Yearly' RRA/graph shows 1 data point for every day.  The 2 hour
intervals above are consolidated into one data point for the entire day.

As you've discovered, there are other consolidation functions which
are available but the RRD file must be told which will be used at
creation time. Looks like the PNP guys included MAX for at least some
of the RRA's.

Alex Van Den Bogaerdt has written an excellent RRD Tutorial that
covers this and much more at http://oss.oetiker.ch/RRDtool/tut/RRDtutorial.en.html
.

--
Marc