Unmanaged switch

Marcus Rejås marcus at rejas.se
Mon Oct 20 11:37:36 CEST 2008

On 10/20 10:04, Assaf Flatto wrote:
> you'll need an ip to define it, since nagios require an address if you define it as host .
> but you van give it a fictitious ip and assign the Check_dummy to it so it will have a "service"
> assigned to it.

Well, you need something as a hostaddress, it doesn't have to be an
ip-address. In this case anything would do.

> then you can put it in the hierarchy .
>
> Unfortunately , this will not give a good indication to the topology if it indeed fails since there
> will be no true indication if it is up or down.

That is true. For it to make sense you should make up a check that is likely
to determine if the switch goes down to use as host check and maybe also as
the only service on the switch. How this can be done depends on your setup.

The first thing that comes to my mind is to write a check that pings some
reliable serves connected directly to the switch and if none of them responds
the switch is probably dead. This can be used both as host check and a
service. Be wise when choosing hosts to ping.

If the switch is a distribution switch with not many servers on it there
might be printers to ping.

  /Marcus

--
Marcus Rejås          jabber:   marcus at jabber.rejas.se  ,= ,-_-. =.