New to Nagios -- simple problem with data from nrpe

shadih rahman shadhin71 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 21:15:14 CEST 2009

Brian,
   First thing to check is version of NRPE?  NRPE comes with two version,
stripped and non-stripped.  Make sure both machine has the same version
running.  If not, then play with the "-n" option to fix the incompatibility
issues.  Then check if your nrpe.cfg where you define the actual checks are
the same on both nagios server and the monitored machine.  I hope this
helps.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Marc Ismael <marcismael at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Brian O'Mahony <
> brian.omahony at curamsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>>  There seems to be a lot of documentation on Nagios all over the web. I
>> must say im impressed with it, even though im still installing it.
>>

>> Basically I have the server set up and monitoring itself, and I have one
>> remote machine, which I have set up 6 tests on just for testing. I have the
>> nagios plugins and nrpe installed and everything is working in that regard.
>> If I run the check_nrpe command with any of the base remote commands in the
>> /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg file, I get the output to my screen.
>>
>> [nagios at mido ~]$ /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H 172.16.165.248 -c
>> check_root_disk
>>
>> DISK OK - free space: / 4460 MB (95% inode=98%);| /=208MB;4898;4908;0;4918
>>
>> (IP is the remote machine)
>>

>> However when these tests are added to server.cfg files, I get
>> Status==UNKNOWN and Status Information=(No output returned from plugin)
>>

>> I reckon its something simple that ive missed, but ive gotten a bit lost
>> looking for it.
>>

>> Server:
>>
>> Rhel5.1
>>
>> Nagios-3.0.6 installed from source
>>
>> Plugins 1.4.13-4 from rpm
>>
>> Plugins-nrpe 2.12-6 from rpm
>>

>> Remote Server:
>>
>> Rhel4u6
>>
>> nagios-nrpe-2.5.2-1
>>
>> nagios-plugins-nrpe-2.12-6
>>
>> nagios-plugins-1.4.13-1.el4
>>

>> Thanks

> i would do the following
>
> - make sure that nrpe on the nagios server is connecting to the correct
> port at the nrpe server by comparing nrpe config files. (check encryption,
> port, privs, etc).
> - make sure that nrpe service on the clients are actually running and
> listening on the configured port.
> - check service and command definitions
>
> Also I would double check the nrpe pdf documentation -- there are examples
> there to get you up and running with nrpe.

> reporting any issue.

Cordially,
Shadhin Rahman