Connection refused/socket time out

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Nov 10 13:46:56 CET 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 5:16 AM, keshav murthy wrote:

> Issue
> 	• Occasionally we get connection refused sometimes and Socket timeout sometimes.
> 	• During such times, it generates CRITICAL alert and our ticketing system generates lots of tickets
> Assumptions
> 	• Network slowness between nagios server and client.
> 	• Client takes more time to respond to the check and nrpe timeouts.
> 	• NRPE dies on the nagios server.
>
> Clarification needed
> 	• What are the various causes for these alerts? (are the assumptions correct, if wrong please clarify.)

	The ones above would be possible given certain network configurations (i.e. slow WAN link to remote site, etc). They could also indicate that the host or service you are checking is down. You should be able to determine the cause through troubleshooting...

> 	• Is it possible to change them as "Warning"?

	Yes, but requires code editing. Search for the exit strings in the source of the plugin or within nagios and change the exit or state code to 2. Bear in mind that these could also indicate other problem with the services you are checking.

You might also consider increasing your retry count instead so that you give more time for temporary latency issues and the like to resolve themselves.

--
Marc