Indication of dial backup?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Wed Dec 8 10:25:12 CET 2010

 On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 22:42:57 +0000, Paul Williamson
 <PWilliamson at twgi.net> wrote:
> How can I configure Nagios to recognize when a router is on dial
> backup (or connected via the non-primary link)?  I have about 300
> locations and would like to see when a system is not connected via
> the
> primary interface.  I realize I'll probably need to define a template
> of some sort that all routers would fit into, but I'm not very
> familiar with how to indicate that the condition is good (on primary)
> or it is bad (on dial back up).  I've looked at the Nagios Exchange
> and didn't find any plugin or template.

 Add an interface check for the dialup interface but negate the result.
 If the interface is down everything is OK. But if the interface is up
 then you should set the status to CRITICAL or WARNING.

 You will need to add some effort of your own into this but this would
 be roughly how I would add monitoring. Just considere the backup link as
 a service of each router and set it to CRITICAL if the dialup interface
 is up.

 Hugo.

--
 hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org   http://hugo.vanderkooij.org/